The Intercom integration lets you sync lists as well as segments saved in your Intercom account. It also allows you to sync your customers along with their properties from Intercom, and create custom segments with those properties.
You can find the integration on the Integrations page, here: https://app.retently.com/settings/integrations.
If you have it already connected, you will see the Settings button, instead of Connect.
Integration main page
On the Settings page you will see all your lists and segments from Intercom:
- Main lists, such as Users and Leads, will have a green icon;
- Segments saved in Intercom will have a blue icon;
- Custom segments created in Retently using Intercom properties will have a yellow icon.
Each list or segment contains the following elements:
- Name: You can edit the name of custom segments only;
- Auto-sync status: By default, all lists have the auto-sync deactivated, but you can easily switch it on from the menu;
- Contacts amount: This is the number of contacts the particular list has in Intercom;
- Last sync status: If a list or segment was synced at least once, this status will display when that happened;
- Sync report: Once a list or segment is synced, you can access the report by placing your mouse over the (?) tooltip, next to the sync status. The report will show you how many new contacts have been imported, updated, failed and other sync-related data;
- Sync now button: You can import your contacts from Intercom and update them manually by clicking on the Sync now button;
- Menu: Clicking on the arrow icon next to the Sync now button will open the Segment menu with an option to activate the auto-sync, which will update your customers automatically.
In the menu bar, above the first list on the page, you have the following options:
- Filters: Allows you to filter your segments by categories, such as users, leads, Intercom or custom segments. Another filter option is by the sync status, which can be finished, pending, failed, etc.;
- Sorting: You can also sort your lists and segments by type, number of contacts, auto-sync status, and the last sync date;
- Create a new segment button: Allows you to create a new custom segment, using properties from Intercom, and applying additional filters.
In the top menu of your page you have the following elements:
- Account name: You can connect two different Intercom accounts if needed. Each account will be given a default name, such as “Account 1”, but you can rename it to something more meaningful;
- Last sync stats: It displays when the last sync happened, in any list or segment;
- Refresh data button: Getting hold of lists and segments information, such as the number of contacts in Intercom, may take some time to load. That’s why Retently caches some data in your account that is being updated automatically once in a while. But you can force this process by clicking on the Refresh data button and have all the information updated with Intercom;
- Menu button: By clicking on the arrow icon next to the Refresh data button, you will open the menu, which allows you to access the integration Settings page, connect another account, and disconnect the integration.
Integration Settings page
On this page, you can adjust the integration settings and configure the data exchange between Retently and Intercom. These settings will apply to all your lists and segments.
Here you will find the following sections:
- Export NPS data to Intercom: Choose what NPS data will be automatically imported to Intercom and applied to your contacts as properties. This can be the NPS score only, or the score and feedback, or you can choose to skip the NPS data import.
- Trigger an event in Intercom: If a customer unsubscribed from surveys, or was deleted from Retently, you can trigger an event in Intercom.
- Overwrite contact data in Intercom: Choose what customer data shall be overwritten in Intercom based on data updates in Retently.
- Overwrite contact data in Retently: Choose what customer data shall be overwritten in Retently based on data updates in Intercom.
- When a customer is deleted in Intercom: Decide what should Retently do with a customer if they have been deleted in Intercom.
- When a customer is unsubscribed in Intercom: Decide what should Retently do with a customer if they have unsubscribed from Intercom messages.
List and Segment settings page
You can access the Settings page from the menu, next to each segment’s Sync now button on the main integration page.
The segments Settings page consists of three tabs:
1. Map data
Your contacts have a list of properties in Intercom, such as name, email address, country etc. Retently will map some of these properties automatically, while you will have to map other manually.
If you have a property in Intercom that is not listed in Retently’s default properties list, for instance: “Free Trial”, that’s ok, because you can create a custom property and map it to the existing one in Intercom.
Mapping a property means that you select it to be imported to Retently and applied to customers. Mapping also helps Retently understand what is this property, and how should it be named in your account.
You will be using the customer properties when creating custom Intercom segments, or when filtering the audience for your NPS campaigns.
2. Filter data
Once you have mapped customer properties and helped Retently understand what are they, you can create additional filters and decide what contacts will match this segment or list, the one that you are currently configuring.
For instance, you can add the following filter:
Subscription status -> is -> Free Trial or Country -> is -> USA
If you don’t create additional filters, then all your contacts from this list or segment will be synced with Retently, with the properties that you have mapped.
3. Segment settings
On this tab, you can decide how duplicates are handled by Retently. We recommend keeping the Update option, which will make sure that your customer data is synced between Intercom and Retently.
Here, you can also apply a custom tag to your clients, so, later on, you will be able to use it to filter your customers or NPS data.
Create a custom segment
To create a custom segment, you have to click on the + Create new segment button on your main integration page.
A pop-up will ask you to give the segment a name (which you can rename later if needed) and choose where should the contacts be imported from Users or Leads.
Defining the contacts source is important because each segment is created based on the customers and properties from a specific main list. In Intercom, by default, there are two main lists: Users and Leads.
Next, you will be asked to configure the new custom segment, which means to map the properties, create additional filters, and adjust the segment settings. Basically, all the steps that we have covered in the previous chapter, “Lists and segments settings page”.
Syncing a list or segment
You can sync lists and segments, individually, from the main integration page. This can be done automatically, by clicking on the Sync now button, or you can activate the auto-sync option and let Retently sync them automatically, on a regular basis, every 24, 12 or 6 hours, depending on your subscription. You can have the auto-sync activated for a specific number of segments, which is proportional to the number of NPS campaigns you can create in your account.
When you try to sync a list for the first time, you will be given two options: to continue the sync with the default properties mapped automatically, or you can choose to map data and select what properties will be imported to Retently (this option is highly recommended).