On the Outbox page, you can keep track of all the surveys that were sent to your customers. Besides a list with survey records, the page also provides a set of useful filters, giving you the possibility to segment your data and gain more insights meant to improve your survey campaigns down the road.
The survey records
The Outbox is mainly a list of all the surveys that have been sent to your customers over time. Each list row, which we will be referring to as "outbox record", contains details about the respondent and the survey itself.
A list row will contain the following data:
- Checkbox (display when you hover over the avatar of a customer, or when you select all items on the page) - allows you to select one or multiple records for further actions, such as resending surveys;
- Respondent info - displays the customer's name, job title, and company name. If there is no name associated with the customer then their email address will be displayed instead;
- Campaign name - indicates the campaign a specific survey was sent through;
- Survey channel icon - points out the survey channel (email, in-app, link, or Intercom);
- Survey subject - displays the rating question/subject lines of your surveys, making it an effective tool to A/B test the subject lines over time;
- Sent by - shows you how the survey was sent to the customers. There are five types:
- Campaign - means that the survey was sent automatically in a survey campaign;
- Manual - means that you or another user in the account sent the survey manually;
- Reminder - means that the customer received a reminder survey in an active campaign;
- Imported - means that this survey record was created automatically when you have imported historical customer feedback;
- Test - means that this survey was sent as a test from an email survey template editor.
- Survey status - shows you the current status of the survey. There are three statuses:
- Sent - by default, all the records in the Outbox will have this status highlighted since only surveys that were sent to customers will be listed on this page;
- Opened - will be highlighted if a customer opened your survey;
- Responded - will be highlighted if a customer provided at least a rating or text feedback.
- Opted out - will be displayed instead of the Responded status if the customer has opted out of receiving further surveys.
- Survey date - tells you when the survey was sent to the customer.
Survey delivery stats
The delivery stats section provides you more details about your survey response rate, how many received a response, or how many customers opted out of your surveys.
The survey delivery stats includes seven blocks with data:
- Survey response rate - the percentage of customers that have responded to the survey;
- Sent - the total number of surveys that were sent to your customers;
- Delivered - the number of surveys that were successfully delivered to your customers;
- Opened - the number of surveys that were opened by your customers;
- Responded - the number of surveys that received a rating or text feedback;
- Opted out - the number of customers that have unsubscribed from your surveys;
- Bounced - the number of email addresses that were unavailable when you have surveyed them.
If you send recurring surveys, even to a relatively small audience, your Outbox will get crowded and will stretch across multiple pages (by the way, there are 50 survey records on any given page). Sorting through the data in an Outbox with hundreds, or especially hundreds of thousands of records would be quite a challenge, to say the least.
That's why you can use the filters from the top of your Outbox to segment your data. The filters are especially useful when paired with the survey delivery stats, which will help you gain invaluable insights meant to improve your survey campaigns down the road.
Saved filters - when applying one or more filters you can save them for quicker access. When saving a filter you can choose whether to keep it private to you or make it available for the other users in your account.
Date range - allows you to filter your Outbox by a preset or custom date range.
- Last 7 days;
- Last 30 days;
- Last 90 days;
- This month-to-date;
- Past month;
- This quarter-to-date;
- Past quarter;
- This year-to-date;
- Past year;
- Custom range.
Campaigns - allows you to view only the surveys that were delivered in a specific campaign.
Audience - gives you the possibility to filter outbox records using customer attributes (properties and tags). When applying this filter, please keep in mind that the data will be filtered based on your customers' historical attributes (that they had when they have received the survey).
Survey - this is a group of filters, that includes the following filters and options:
- Engagement filter - gives you the possibility to filter the Outbox by the engagement level of your customers with the received surveys.
- Sent, not opened
- Opened, not responded
- Responded, no feedback
- Template filter - allows you to view all surveys that were sent out with a particular survey template.
- Channel filter - allows you to view all surveys that were sent out on a specific survey channel:
- Sent by filter - allows you to view survey records that were sent in a particular way:
- Campaign - automatically by a survey campaign.
- Reminder - an automated reminder survey in an active survey campaign.
- Manually - was sent manually by an account's user.
- Imported - the outbox record was created automatically when importing historical feedback.
- Test - the survey was sent as a test from an email template editor.
- Survey records display filter - the Outbox page may include multiple survey records of the same customer (literally a record for each survey that a customer has received). This filter allows you to display only the last survey per customer.
When you select one or more customers, the survey Resend button will become available. This option gives you the possibility to send to the selected audience another one-time email survey, that will be recorded in the same campaign, but this time you will be able to choose a different survey template if needed.
All the records of the surveys sent through the Resend option will be listed in the Outbox as being sent manually. Learn more about resending surveys manually.
Export Outbox data
When needed, you can easily export all your Outbox data or only the filtered records. You can download the data in a CSV file, share it via email, or select both options.
The exported file contains the following data:
- First and last name
- Email address
- Campaign name
- Survey channel (email, in-app or Intercom)
- Survey subject
- Sent by (campaign, manual or reminder)
- Status (sent, opened or responded)
- Sent time