To access the Attributes Management page, click the settings menu icon and choose the "Props & Tags" page.
You will be redirected to the Attributes Management page, where you can navigate between:
- Customer properties;
- Customer tags;
- Feedback tags.
All sections have the same functionality with a few differences, which we will describe further on.
Properties and tags list
The grid with the properties and tags list (depending on the section you're currently in) will display the following elements:
- Item selector: you can select two or more items from the list to perform specific bulk actions on them.
- Item name: this is the name of your property or tag. You will be using it to filter your data in campaigns or reports.
- Data type (only for properties): your props can store text, number, date, or collection values.
- Counter: shows the number of customers that have a particular property or tag assigned. If you're in the Feedback tags section, the counter will show the number of survey responses that have a particular feedback tag assigned.
- Edit and delete options: these are individual actions for each property or tag on the list.
Create a new property or tag
To create a new property or tag click the "Create" button from the top-right corner, above the list.
If you're creating a new tag then simply give it a name and click the "Create" button.
If you're creating a new property, then you will be asked to give it a name and choose its type.
There are four types available:
- Text: lets you store regular text in the property;
- Number: permits to store a whole number (integer) in the property. For numbers with decimals, we recommend using the "text" property type;
- Date: enables you to store a date in the month/day/year format;
- Collection: allows you to store a collection of items of any type, which will be separated by commas.
If you already have a property or a tag with the same name, you will receive a warning message.
Once created, the new property or tag will have 0 customer or feedback records assigned. Check the FAQ section at the end of the article for more details on assigning properties and tags.
Edit and delete individual properties and tags
Each item on the list has two actions available: edit and delete. When choosing the edit option, a popup will ask you to change the name of the selected property or tag. Once renamed, it will be updated for all your customers or feedback that have this property or tag assigned.
Deleting an item will remove it from all the customers or feedback it was assigned to. If needed, you can create it again later.
When selecting two or more items on the list, the "Create" button will switch into "Select action". Clicking the button will display a list with two actions that you can perform in bulk:
Keep in mind that you will be able to use these options only if you select two or more props or tags.
Merging properties and tags
Merging works differently for properties and tags. Therefore we will cover them individually:
You can only merge two properties at a time and they also have to be of the same type. For example, you can only merge two text properties or two date properties.
After you have selected two props of the same type, a popup will ask you to choose one of these two as the main one. The other prop will be merged into the main one.
So here's how this works. If you have selected to merge "prop1" and "prop2", and if you have selected "prop2" as your main one, then after the merge "prop1" will be removed from your account and all the data stored in it will be transferred to "prop2".
If there is conflicting information during the merge, then the data stored in "prop2" will have priority, while the data from "prop1" will be ignored.
To explain with another example:
Let's say you have a customer with "prop1" having a value of 9 and "prop2" with a value of 10. As you may notice, this customer's data is different in each prop.
This means that after the merge of the two props, the customer will remain with "prop2" and the value of 10.
Normally, you'd want to merge two props if you import customers from different sources such as API and integrations, and you have created another property by mistake. If you still have questions about merging props, feel free to get in touch with us at email@example.com and we will gladly assist you.
After you have selected the main property, click the "Continue" button. You will be prompted with a notification:
"If you’re using the selected to filter a campaign’s audience, after the merge, your audience will no longer match the campaign. Make sure to update the campaign’s audience."
The thing is that if you merge two properties, and at least one of them is used in a campaign’s Audience filter, then after the merge, that property may no longer be available. Therefore, your customers that used to match your campaign based on that property, will no longer do, and they will not receive any other surveys in the campaign. We recommend adjusting campaign Audience filters after the merge, to ensure your campaign’s audience is the right one.
Finally, you can click the "Merge" button.
You can merge multiple tags in a new one. When choosing this option, a popup will display all the tags selected for the merge and will ask you to give a new tag name.
This option will basically remove all the selected tags assigned to your customers or feedback and will add the new tag instead.
IMPORTANT: After the merge, the old tags will no longer be available, and you will not be able to use them to filter your data or your campaign's audience. Therefore, if you are using them to filter a campaign's audience, make sure to add the new tag to the campaign's audience filter.
Otherwise, some of your customers will no longer match the campaign and will not receive surveys in that specific campaign.
Deleting in bulk
You can select two or more props or tags and delete them in bulk.
This option is handy if you have a long list with items which are no longer needed.
What are customer properties?
Customer properties are fields that hold values related to a specific customer or customer segment. There are four types of properties: text, number, date, and collection.
What are customer tags?
Customer tags are labels that you can assign to the customers imported to Retently. You can view your list of customers on the Audience page.
What are feedback tags?
Feedback tags are labels assigned to each survey response. You can view all your received feedback on the Feedback page.
What do you need properties and tags for?
You can use properties and tags to filter your customers or feedback. You can also use them to filter your campaign's audience or the reports.
How can I assign customer props?
- Through CSV files: when uploading a CSV file with customers you can create new properties or choose from your list of existing props and map them to CSV columns. The properties will be assigned to your customers, and the values from the columns will be stored in the properties.
- Through integrations: when syncing your customers from another service using our native integrations, you can map the properties from the other service with the props you have in Retently (or you can create new ones if needed).
- Through our API: if you're importing your audience to Retently from your database or software, you can pass properties along with your customers.
How can I assign customer tags?
There are various ways to assign customer tags:
- Manually: on the Audience page or in a customer’s profile, click the action menu and choose the Manage Tags option. You will be able to select a tag from the list and assign it to the customers. Read the tutorial.
- Using integrations: when syncing customers from another service using our native integrations, you can map specific properties from the service as customer tags in Retently. The values of these properties will be added as customer tags after the synchronization. Learn more about syncing customers via integrations (Intercom example).
- From Zapier: when importing or updating customers from other services using Zapier, you can configure the Zap automation to assign customer tags. Learn more.
- From API: when creating or updating customers using our API, you can assign an array of tags to the imported customer. Check our API documentation.
- From in-app surveys: when the in-app survey script runs, you can assign an array of tags to the customer that is processed by the script and imported to Retently. Learn more.
How can I assign feedback tags?
Assign feedback tags manually on the Feedback page. In each survey response block, you can click the actions menu icon, and select the Manage Tags option. Learn more.
You can also use Zapier to connect to a third-party service, MonkeyLearn, to identify and assign feedback tags automatically. Read the tutorial.